Monday, March 21, 2005

I have no answer if there is no God.

Jacobi's remarkable letter to Fichte. I haven't read all of it, but it's really good and worth a perusal. (Came to mind while reading Heidegger on Nietzsche. The similarities are very interesting to ponder.) Here is a good part:
I do not see why I should not be allowed to prefer my Philosophy of Not-Knowing to the Philosophical Knowing of Nothing [i.e. to Enlightenment philosophy]. Truly, my dear Fichte, it would not vex me if you, or whoever it might be, want to call what I contrast to your philosophy, which I chide as nihilism, 'chimerism'. I have made a display in all of my writings of my Not-Knowing; I have so boasted of being unknowledgeable with knowledge.
A great and still timely piece.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm taking a philosophy class .... it's pretty cool, I wish those guys would quit talkin and get jobs

Luke Brown

9:29 PM  
Blogger Lenin said...

is this "the" luke brown?

6:27 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

it's funny because most of the pre-20th century philosophers didn't even need jobs because they were rich dudes. which raises an important question: what the hell did Socrates do for a living?

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home